Five Minute Friday: FOCUS
1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community..
Sometimes I feel like I get off track, so I apologize in advance. I truly write what I feel as soon as I see the prompt. So here goes…
Life can get crazy, with set backs, changes, stress, and wonderful events. Life can get crazy, if you let it. I started out blogging for one reason and found myself moving in a different direction. I found my soul moving in a different direction and I knew I wasn’t the one leading the way.
While I still worry, I’m a mom and can’t help it, I find that my perspective on things has changed. While being laid off is a burden, I now see it as opportunity to focus on something I might not have been able to while working all day. Picking up my son from day care, which he attends only two days a week, the wonderful teacher spoke to me. Her words made it even more evident that God is leading the way for me. She explained that he is using his words more and less signs of lunging towards kids, lunging to hit or bite them. She saw him listening more the first time and doing what he was told. He was going through this sudden phase when he would get aggressive when he got upset. She suggested that even though I am at home and still looking for work, maybe it was a good thing because I was able to help my son get back on track.
I smiled and was filled with such love. There it was…My focus was on my son, teaching him to be a good man. I worked incredibly hard to lead him in the right direction. I helped him identify and his feelings. I gave him words to use and helped him figure out what he should do when he felt that way. My focus wasn’t on how I need to find work, how we have to budget even more, or how mad I am about not finding work. It was about guiding and teaching my son. It was about helping my son focus and in turn, he helped me focus on what really matters.
1. How long did it take for you to find your wedding dress? (Wedding dress pics anyone?) WOW, I’ve been married eleven years now…I don’t remember how long it took me to find my dress. I do know I didn’t like ANYTHING in the shops. Then at a consignment shop I found a VERY different dress. It was a cream dress with a white lace overlay, off the shoulders, so beautiful… so different, so me…at the time. NOW…I would have done something MUCH simpler, but I LOVED my dress. It’s not a great picture, most of our wedding pictures are still in boxes. Haven’t hung them up yet since we moved here in May. Hopefully the picture of a picture shows off some of the wonderful lace detail. The bottom was a poofy a-line covered with the same material. My son has claimed this picture as his own and keeps it in his special Lightening McQueen back pack that his LaLa and PopPop gave him. I am overjoyed that our wedding photo means so much to him.
2. Someone in your general vicinity releases a NASTY smelling fart. Do you say anything or blow it off? If it’s my hubby, son, sister, or dear friends I will totally call them out. My son looks at me and laughs and tries to get more out…such a boy. My hubby…well he’s a man after all, so you know how they are. And my friends…well we are just CRAZY. If it’s my parents or stranger, I let it go.
3. What is the scariest thing that happened to you or scared you recently? This still freaks me out…there was a spider on our ceiling and I thought since hubby was home he could kill it. If he wasn’t I would have gotten out the Lysol, sprayed and killed it till it hit the floor and searched for hours until I found it’s carcass. (It was evening and my son was sleeping, so I couldn’t vacuum) Since hubby was home, I asked him to kill it while I stayed at safe distance. WRONG… the dead carcass flew in my direction and I had a full on panic attack. I ripped off all my clothes while running around the living room in a silent scream. Hubby swore he got the dead spider and threw it in the garbage, but he couldn’t produce evidence. It took me a while to go to sleep that night.
4. Favorite brand and flavor of ice cream. Since son and I are allergic to dairy, I have a limited selection. I LOVED Trader Joe’s soy creamy, cherry chocolate chip ice cream. There was chunks of cherry and chocolate…it was HEAVEN. We ate it in cones, over brownies and cookies. We also love Soy Dream almond or coconut milk. They have tons of varieties. But their containers are pretty small and not as creamy.
5. Are you able to sleep well in hotels? Yes, as long as the remote control is in a bag (that thing has more germs than you can imagine), the bathroom is clean (even if I have to do it myself), and it feels safe. I have never been in a hotel room without my hubby or parents, and I would never stay in one alone-that ensures NO SLEEP.